The transmission provider JDA is moving the Al Jazeera English service to a new multiplex frequency at 3am on WED 20 AUG.
This will only take place in Whangarei, Rotorua, Taupo, Gisborne, Wanganui, Masterton & Wairarapa, Nelson and Timaru. No other areas will be affected.
This change may only affect viewers with a UHF aerial in those areas.
If you’re using a UHF aerial, you may temporarily lose Al Jazeera English. If that’s the case, please retune your TV, receiver or recorder after WED 20 AUG to restore Al Jazeera English.
Most TVs, receivers & recorders will automatically update.
Some TVs (e.g. Panasonic) may take 24hrs / overnight to update if left on stand-by (i.e. not switched off at the wall).
For retune instructions, please refer to:
- The instruction manual for your device;
- Channel 500 on your TV which has general guidelines;
- The Retune Instructions on the Freeview Forum: www.freeviewforum.co.nz/page/retune
I can’t get it back after a retune
If you’re having problems with restoring Al Jazeera English even after a retune, there may be some issues with your aerial or set up that’s interfering with the retune process. Please refer to:
- The retune troubleshooting page on the Freeview Forum, which can be found in the QUICK TOOLS section on the Right Hand Side of the Forum homepage www.freeviewforum.co.nz
- Your manufacturer support team – their device experts can help guide you through the retune process to check that you’re doing everything correctly.
- Your installer – it may be likely that your aerial or set-up need to be corrected so you can retune successfully (this correction would help you with any future broadcast / transmission changes as well).
- The forum community – the tech-savvy forum community can offer you free technical advice if you’re having issues with retuning.
I’m using a satellite dish – can I get Al Jazeera English?
Viewers that use a satellite dish (i.e. who have Freeview Satellite) do not have Al Jazeera English as the broadcaster is not yet broadcasting a Freeview Satellite service.
Though a SKY service is available via satellite, that service is encrypted by SKY and SKY would only unencrypt that service if the broadcaster agrees to additional charges as part of a new agreement.
Why did this change take place?
JDA, a third party transmission provider, has advised Freeview that it had a prior agreement with the broadcaster to temporarily house the Al Jazeera English service on the MediaWorks multiplex (or transmission frequency) until more space was made available on JDA’s own multiplex. JDA has now secured enough space to start transmitting Al Jazeera English from its own multiplex, so now the move must be made.